I found both Helen’s and Adesola’s blogs about mantras and
positive quotations extremely useful to enjoy this modules process and to use
clichés to “Embrace Change” and “Navigating The Unknown” I kind of feel that
their letting go of our hands a bit as we cross the road.
In reading I’m highlighting anything I feel could be useful in terms of
creating my framework/reflection/dance pedagogies and then entering a log in
“Notes” on my IPhone with the page number and subject hoping this will become
useful later on. For example Page 23, Frying Mince. Then if I have to write
something about the topic I have quick access to the citation. I have also
downloaded the iPhone app which is very convenient can be downloaded at the app
store if you type in “Blogger”. To blog on the go with ease!
Also I’m enjoying trying to prepare for something I have no
idea what I’m making! (I will steer away
from another food analogy). I’m reading back through my AOL’s and reflective
essay as suggested by Helen to come up with occurring threads I am already
wishing I had completed some of the work differently in regards to the feedback
I received, Now it seems obvious! Which seems crazy as it was only a month ago
we submitted our work!
Although I know the genre I want to research I have no Idea
what exactly in the subject I want to further explore. Been playing with ideas.
I have ordered a new book on Jazz Dance which is not been released till the end
of month from the University of Florida which I’m very excited for as there is
an substantial lack of literature on my chosen subject as I share Carson’s view
that it is seen a “Mode of Entertainment” in a lot of cultures. So till then I am going to spend the next
month reading a copious amount of books and collating data anything useful and
to get my head round research as a technique and to “create something beautiful.”
– Thank you Adesola #lightbulbmoment.
I am in a period of critical reflection, knowing how to weave everything into
my holistic journey.
Here is my headspace what I’m mainly reflecting on inwardly:
Ruth Heyler states that the work based learning project
could aid the business your working for but I'm self-employed! My business is
me! So I want this project to have benefits that aid me as the practioner I
want to be in the future (lesson plans, choreography) But I don’t want it at
the same for it to be not taken serious as a piece of research and not involve
the social, historical, philosophical exploration or can I do both?
Can I find a clever way to incorporate practice as research
in my framework that aid and articulate my enquiry? I want to get the most from
this MA and I expect at the end of the process, because of the high level of autonomous
learning to be at the standard of embarking on a PhD if decide to take that
particular route or not……..!
I am really enjoying having more time to blog as with module
one and my work situation at that time I had no time to do both.
Yesterday I fulfilled a dream of mine I took a master Jazz
class at Steps on Broadway. It was so inspiring to work alongside a Broadway
legend and her energy and positivity really upped and boosted the class it was
electrifying. It spiralled so many questions to me and I started to question
every single thing I’m doing during the warm up which directed back to a
highlighted note that Luigi the Father of the Jazz Technique said:
(Luigi,Kriegel & Roach 1997 Pg. 9)
“Balanchine spoke about dancing inside a square. I go beyond the square
and dance inside a circle”
This sparked further spirals of inner “thought-threads” for
me actually why we do certain movements in Jazz warm up, how Luigi was the
start/pioneer of it all? If you did a
Jazz warm up could you in theory go straight into a ballet class into centre
work? Why (in my experience) is it not taken as serious as other art forms in some
cultures/societies?
After the hour warm up we moved on to a routine I thought I
would be absolutely knackered as It had been a while since my last professional
level class but my body seemed so revitalized and energetic! I felt muscles I
hadn’t felt in a while! Geared up and ready to go! After some warm ups be it at
student level or when I took class in London I have been exhausted.
I intend to draw from my experiences from taking these
Master classes and compare them to my prior knowledge and really try and
compare the differences between the UK and the US on Jazz Dance as I feel a lot
has been lost with people putting their own “spin” on things and making things
their own in a curriculum. I think there is protocol that needs to be followed
in the creation of syllabi or at college in Jazz education. And I feel it’s a
lot to do with positive thought in both cultures in professional dance training
context. And the actual thought behind the movements why are we doing these
Jazz Warm ups? A lot of the time for non traditional late starters especially
male dancers theirs a tendency to just “copy” at the back of the class
“Learn to develop your technique by knowing what you are doing rather
than pretending or imitating” – (Luigi 1997 Pg. Xi)
To not actually know the “know-why” can be detrimental to
the dancers learning to not know the thought pattern behind a specific
movement. Being in the home of Jazz dance which it has been since the 1950’s, I’m at the forefront on my subject and in a unique situation. Jazz has extensively been studied here through
educational degrees in the states which is the main factors to its advancement
here. Their BFA and MFA’s mainly
incorporate Jazz dance and its theoretical analysis of the technique. This is crucial
and is a high level of importance as it conveys the artistry of what should be
a not forgotten art form in the next sixty years of its existence.
“Learn how to learn, in this way you will constantly develop yourself
and keep your mind open for learning” – (Luigi 1997 Pg. Xii)
Hi Jamie
ReplyDeleteSounds like the way you are reading, taking notes and leaving breadcrumb trails for yourself as you read, is a great idea. This is how I read books, my books are full of notes along the side of the page with references to other books or pages and sticky notes.
In regard to you 'v' social, historical , philosophical research - you are connected to things you are part of a society, have a history and have a perspective from which you see the world (philosophy). In fact you can't get away from those things so don't think you can somehow and do something on 'you' that does not involve the rest. The art of reflection is having lens for see how you are affected by and affect your perception of the said (social, historical, philosophical).
Research: as you are seeing with looking back at what you did for ovule one, there is a difference between opening your eyes to something new to you and bringing your experience to something to make new meaning of something. They both feel like the same thing. Or maybe both part of the same thing. But one is about coming head to head with your own limited experience, and the other is about wondering in the unknown with your experience. They both happen as you travel the road of inquiry. It is important to allow yourself to be generous and humble (toward yourself) in this process.
From what you are saying about Luigi you might just want to research him and his life in terms of how it can apply to teaching in 21st century.
Great work , keep going
Adesola
Another really interesting blog Jamie, and definitely lots of 'food for thought'. You seem to have got off to a really good start. I did, and I'm back at the crossroads again. However, as I think we've discovered utilising the coping strategies and learning styles that we identified in module 1 is a good way to sort through the head and not feel quite as stressed as one could. Are you any closer to your research question? I have two possibilities but I'm keeping an open mind as I keep debating other topics but can't quite focus on a question.
ReplyDeleteKeep writing the blogs, I love reading them, each of our interpretations is a little bit different and therefore really helpful as they offer more strands of information. While you're in NYC if you get the chance, see if you can access any open classes at Alvin Ailey and Juilliard, I'm sure you'll engage and learn from the experience. At least take a visit if you can.
Thank you Adesola for your great comments and guidance, It is definitely a case of keeping going with it all, especially with the breadcrumb trails which I suggest you do Amanda it really has aided me through the process up to now. Looking back on my notes keeps everything fresh in my mind as well, from one book to the next. Not close to my research question no, The title is a work in progress currently, I don't want to steamroll in and not be "on" the right track. From my reading I feel Titling the piece is very important because you want it to be sharp and have scope and focus. Wisker states (2008 p. 52)
ReplyDelete"Choosing a title can be difficult. It is important that the title makes a statement or outlines an area of study that can be explored, opened up, questioned....It's not a case of "say all you can find out about" kind of title, it need to excite, suggest scope for enquiry and reflection,and indicate that it is complex and "meaty" or sufficiently extensive for you exploration"
This has contributed to my thoughts on the matter I hope it precipitates and aids yours Amanda as well. Yes, I will try and attend an open class thanks for the advice, may well do so in observational techniques - Once Ive read the book! Im just going to spend February reading my ever growing mountain of books brick by brick we will all get nearer! Thank You both for taking the time with your comments I really appreciate it.