Well we had a really great productive group tutorial
covering a lot of ground! It was really fantastic hearing about Hopal’s journey
into Module 3 shedding light and sharing advice. She spoke about how she was
doing two things at once: the research, how she uses the data and then how she
backs it up. Being a novice researcher is like learning a new language and we
are introduced in society with research through mainly quantitative modes in
newspapers and how were using more of a qualitative approach like social science.
Adesola also suggested to us to compare our inquiries like a
presentation to an arts council for funding this is a really good course of
action to follow. Then continued to talk about “mapping the idea out” or a
fence round the area/field and how were using the data to draw a picture and
how other people we incorporate into the research; their fencing of the area
could be completely different.
Whilst interviewing people Adesola and Hopal shared that
they experience not to stop people on speaking about something if at the time
they seem to drift off on a tangent as you never know if it could be useful in
the future- leading to a recurring theme or a new identified phenomena/link.)
Mary, and me I feel both found it useful having “the
artefact” explained to us in regards to module three. We spoke about embodiment
and how sometimes especially in dance words can sometimes not be enough and how
the artefact can act as a vehicle to connect our practise and illustrate our
work beyond words on a page. I for one am pro anything with the argument of
submission of practise as research in the arts within academia and the many
possibilities of this and also how it weaves into my proposal planning.
Adesola spoke about Module Three being a 12 week 3 step
process being: Data Gathering, Analysis and then Creating/Writing. Knowing what
is coming next has helped me with the Gant chart and logistical concerns of
administration. I feel my proposal itself is coming together and really do find
it as a process of layering and also I love the constant re-moulding of my
work.
I will be posting a group discussion on Linked-In on Jazz
Dance and would love everyone to participate. I read The Alchemist this week I highly recommend it and I
leave you with a citation:
“There is only one way to learn,” the alchemist answered. “It’s through ACTION!” – COELHO P (2005) KINDLE LOCATION: 1523
you're so clear Jamie, I think I may print your blog and pin it up as all the reminders of the Skype call are exactly the things to point me in the right direction. Especially the field I think that analogy will really help with the Literature review.
ReplyDeleteThanks
Mary