

ROL
#Community
So great
to welcome the new mappers to the clan! Really welcome, and get ready for your
own journey getting to know exactly who you are so that you can touch others
[Fame:1997]. So glad that I was asked to blog about community, it really is
something crucial to your personal development as a professional if I can give
one piece of advice it would be not to feel alone, stressed or helpless. Yes!
You are doing an autonomous MA but your not alone, no sir! You have an online
community of classmates In a virtual classroom within the Mapp kingdom once you
get your head round this you will uncover an Eureka moment! Take full use of
the support systems at your disposal blogging being a powerful key within your
reflexivity. So fasten your seat belt it may well be a bumpy ride! I guide you
to the work of Austin Kleon who is at the heart of my studies, a genius on
creative practice! [austin-kleon.com] The one thing I absolutely love about
this course is that I'm blogging from Paris using everything around me as a
muse for my studies. Do the same do what you love study what you love and you
can't go wrong.


Hey Jamie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for this great advice!! As a returning module one, I really just wasent copying well the first attempt, my mind was not programmed to start academic learning and I really struggled because i kept it all to myself. Deferring was the best decision i had made as now I feel so ready and my set up is organised. Listening to all the Module 3's talk about their techniques and mechanisms for surviving the tasks, essays, reading and writing really lifted my spirits even more. This time round I feel so much more supported in terms of relationships with tutors and i guess now you guys!!! I think this year will be very successful and I hope the other Modules will start to feel this way.
Now Jazz is your world and I really want my daughter Storm (5Years old) to embrace it's history and start to learn it's true technique, but got to be honest It is so difficult to find a class for children. I am aware she is still young but could you shed some light on where I can find and why it is so difficult to find classes?
Also to add interest, Jazz is touched briefly in the BTEC dance qualification, however not on the GCSE dance qualifications what are your thoughts on this?
Marie-Reine
Great blog as always Jaimie and such wonderful advice re the viral community. I have always been scared of technology until I joined the MAPP course, slowly, slowly throughout our journey, I've got my head around using blogs and Skype which have been a tremendous input to my studying and as you say getting to know my fellow MAPPers and University community. The blogs and Skype calls are a treasure in this whole journey and enable us to be a part of each others work/thoughts/ideas/findings etc which always provides 'food for thought'! You seem well on the way with your research, can't wait to see your presentation and I love the photos............Paris is such an inspiring city!
ReplyDeleteIn response to Marie-Reine,s question re difficulty finding jazz classes. That isn't particularly unusual if you are just seeking jazz dance classes for your daughter. Jazz technique is extremely hard and in terms of other dance genres is quite mature in the level and style of technique that would be quite hard for Storm at her young age. You should however, be able to find either Modern or Street dance classes until she's a little older that would be an introduction to other styles of dance within the jazz dance family. I'm not sure where you are based but if you contacted Council For Dance Education and Training (CDET) they should be able to help you as they hold a register of all accredited dance schools. Hope that helps!
Marie-Reine, thank you for your reply, it deffinitley sounds like your in a better place now to delve into your studies. Just take time for your self and your family. I love the name Storm what a powerful Jazzy name!
ReplyDeleteI really believe in the blogging! It is a powerful communication tool in tern improving articulation. Taking a little time to blog each days gradually develops these skills along with everything else especially in the first modules. I know it put into practice for me citing and quoting texts, creativity, expression, grammar and practicing promotional statergies. I also found having a dictionary and thesaurus handy to improve vocabulary. When you realize the way you think and feel is everything (Byrne:2006) you will then take the next step whatever that might be for you.
I started Jazz through the ISTD Modern route, for children the grades are great. I hold my Associate Modern and Ballet and both syllabi really push childrens creativity and imagination. We have to keep it fun in these early formative years because in my experience children are very sensitive to stress and tension energies and the fun element must coincide in their dance education. But all advice is autobiographical (Kleon:2006). You will have to wait and see for my research I’m very excited to. Thank you Amanda for your encouraging comments as always your so kind! I am very much looking forward to your research as well. Quoting the late MJ in Man In The Mirror:
“Make that change” –{Jackson:1987}
Fab blog Jamie and love reading through the conversation too . I too went through the ISTD grades and it definitely gives you a good grounding with technique.I think combined with something contrasting also would create a well rounded training like a contemporary class if available. Through my own teaching and experience with my daughter (she's 9) they love playing with dance through improvisation and collaboration with their friends also. If you are south London based I do know a good teacher? Can't wait to hear of your research Jamie and how it's developing. I know a little about Austin Kleon but will take a look . Amanda it was comforting to hear you mention the the going off in tangents then bringing yourself back (Skype) I too do this and it's really frustrating I usually get back on track and feel a sense of ' the process' again. I just hope timing and clarity are on my side. Speak soon Mappers
ReplyDeleteMary
This was great reading. I Norway jazz dance is popular and most schools have classes for children from 5 years and onwards. It is often the street dance classes/hiphop classes they have to wait for... But I guess every country is different.
ReplyDeleteIt is very exciting that you are creating a three year jazz curriculum!
Maria