Thursday, 2 October 2014

GETTING VISUAL

I thought this film of me at the airport was interesting a visual projector on the floor.

After Identifying some similar themes on everyones blogs about the creative process, imagination, technology and creativity has anyone thought about what Dance Classes might be like in the future? In blockbuster motion picture visual arts are prevalent and becoming more and more advanced if we think back to Jurassic Park and what the technology is like in Avatar it's mind blowing!

If the facilities were available what about curriculums that brought this technology into the dance class? Children emulating their biggest dinosaur or swimming with colourful fishes choreographed to a combination.Do you think this technology would be beneficial to children's creativity?

We also have video games on the Nintendo WII: Just Dance, "bust a move" games were in true Jazz Dance nature rivalry is friendly gang competition.

Would you bring the digital revolution into your classroom?

5 comments:

  1. I love this idea Jamie. Really interesting and it brings me to an answer of how I personally feel about technology as a user of it and how I feel about it in terms of what you're asking; developing creativity (not just children in my opinion). As a user, I am terrified of technology and I can only assume that is something to do with my age, being around in the days of the manual typewriter and the introduction of the golf ball electric typewriter was a 'big' deal in technology way back when! I get flustered with it all and generally rely on my daughter and/or students, as well as more confident peers to sort me out. However, the benefits that I receive from using technology are enormous and allows me to be 'in touch' with the younger people I teach and work with. Just looking at your video footage, immediately fills me with choreographic ideas and I wonder if it was a still photograph if it would do the same as quickly and as instantly as the moving image does. I would like to think so, but I would probably have to think more about the movement of the fish and the changing elements of the shadows rather than it being brought to me in the 'here and now state - instant stimulus'. I would definitely consider bringing the digital revolution into the classroom (providing I could operate it) and I think that would be another research topic of it's own in order to see the next stage of the inquiry which potentially holds a multitude of opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting Jamie. In the special needs schools that is one of my research settings they have a sensory room. I might see if I can video it and post! They have this sort of thing on the floor and when you touch it the water ripples and you can change things projected with your touch. It is a very relaxing room and its fascinating to watch the children interact with the resources.. It could be a good place for any child who is having a chaotic moment, to get back into their bodies again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both excellent points. Amanda, I too struggle with ever changing technologies its always about to do something new, but thats exciting we must embrace and not act like luddites! My 11 year old nephew now helps me with technology and it was Gus Giordano said that we must "Keep your finger on the pulse" and I believe that included technology.

    I remember my first teacher had all her lessons plans and routines on cassette tapes the player had a in-built amplifier, she was a legend. She would of been blown away by how easily it is to organise everything on Spotify or iTunes, like Mary said in her previous blog.

    And your right Mary I do believe it would enhance relaxation techniques including ice breakers.

    Can you imagine learning a Fosse routine and then suddenly a projection of a Broadway dancer is show either side of you or corps de ballet? or the cast of 42nd Street tapping?

    Obviously everything old is new again and I'm not once suggesting that this would replace stella teaching techniques because it wouldn't but I believe the two could work side by side toying with students imagination within the world of dance and its infectious luring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fish! I think that that projection can be used in endless ways in dance teaching and choreography. Some HE courses have a strong focus on working with digital technology, incorporating it into performance and exploring ways of stimulating creative work for all ages. This is not my area of expertise at all but I would love to work more with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose! Welcome Back! And thank you for your kind post I definitely want to look into digital technology in dance going to read up on some literature - time permitting this term!

    ReplyDelete