I'm writing an AOL entitled Aesthetics in Dance which is about the extent dancers go to in achieving success in the industry in their dream job plastic surgery, dramatic weight loss etc. In "
Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz looks at healing the inner scars before those on the outside can heal. Just wondering if anyone has anything to say on this topic?
I would be interested in hearing some of that. I know of a few girls that had breast enhancement and of course some that didn't eat. The ones that didn't eat are not performing anymore and still have issues concerning this. I think mothers can influence this also with the messages they send to daughters about body image.
ReplyDeleteI once had my nose broken it was a bit of a freak thing. A drunken man fell into me in the street! It was a shock to me and had effects on me mentally for a while as it was a bit bloody, bruised and painful. It was quick when it happened,but I did feel like I had been violated. It changed my appearance as my nose became bent and because I relied on my looks to a certain extent to get work especially on camera when things are close up I did become a bit obsessed, I kept thinking if I was a rugby player it wouldn't matter. it was upsetting also I had breathing problems which effected my voice. Anyhow all I wanted was my old nose back (which is a bit bent anyway) and I did get it operated on. It just shows how we do have to look after our bodies or avoid drunk men in Brighton.
This subject is fascinating although it makes me a little uncomfortable. It is a difficult topic, very broad and complex and is affected by so many different factors such as style of dance, historical attitudes, training, gender, society.
ReplyDeleteWhen I watch dance (invariably Contemporary Dance I have to say) the dancer I am drawn to watch the most is frequently not the most pretty, flexible, virtuosic or technically perfect. Perhaps it goes without saying but sometimes people have a certain quality, often hard to pin down, that makes them a mesmerising dancer. Nothing to do with age or beauty! I'm interested in what people do on stage and less what they look like. Easy to say but harder to stay true to. I often teach without mirrors and the students feedback about how it makes them feel and how it affects their learning. In the HE dance environment bodies are of all shapes and sizes and a great deal of importance is placed on nurturing a healthy, well functioning body and mind. With what success I'm not sure.
I too think that mother, but also fathers can play a key role in nurturing positive body image with both male and female children and young people as they grow, whether involved in dance or not. Thanks for your thoughts, would love to read more.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to this blog both of you great comments really helped me. We need to discuss in depth some time! Massive topic shouldn't be taboo.
ReplyDelete