Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Oppression

This is a repost from Linked-In, thank you for those who have previously commented:

I have started to delve into oppression in gender studies and find it fascinating, I used to work in the UK's number one drag act and I have the view it's important to explore cultural criticisms in mainstream society. We all have a view of what is normal but what is normal? Have we reached the end of normalcy in the digital age? The future is here (Halberstam 2012). However we must look at the past to learn from societies mistakes and to pay homage to certain individuals. The below citation is from my key text:

'To discuss Jazz Dance and not acknowledge the issue of race greatly diminishes the truth that exist in the art form. Racism with both its oppressive and facilitative qualities, is perpetually woven into the lineage of Jazz Dance' (cited by Guariano & Oliver 2014:231)

This is a powerful yet truthful statement on Jazz Dance's evolvement. It is apart of my research on the evolution of Jazz Dance and who contributed towards its evolvement. I am very much interested on your views on this matter and if you could lead me to any sources.

Musicals such as 'Dreamgirls' and 'Hair Spray' highlight how life for black artists was and how little they were accredited for. 

As dance teachers how do we feel about this? How does it sit with us what is our responsibility? What do we know about this? What have we experienced? What sources, visual documentaries, music or literature do you recommend from your own professional practice that relates.

Many Thanks 

Jamie

2 comments:

  1. http://www.blogger.com/share-post.g?blogID=6671270451045812775&postID=2417102415791896560&target=blog

    Hi Jamie, forgive me if the above link doesn't work, it is incredibly technical for me to do solo (without the help of my daughter)! It's an article, posted on an American artists blog that I think you might find an interesting read, if you haven't already seen it.

    If you get the chance, try and see the new West End musical 'Memphis' - I saw it on Monday and not only was it fantastic in every aspect of musical theatre, but incredibly rich in its message of racial discrimination which is based on the history of the birth of Rock 'n' Roll. We went as a college trip and the students have not stopped talking about it from every angle that it had to offer.

    One of my roles within the performing arts college is Equality and Diversity, so I am responsible for ensuring that we imbed E&D into the curriculum as much as we are able to. One of the activities that we do with First year ballet students during this half term, is pose the question 'Is Nutcracker Racist'? This was borne from an article that I saw in an American dance magazine. The article was supported by responses from 3 different artistic directors who had their own opinion and response to the question. The students were involved in discussion about the article and the ballet during class and set research homework. The topic enables the students to form their own opinion and readdress the question as a result of class discussions and independent study. The most valuable thing about imbedding a topic in this way, is it opens dialogue and provides a freedom of speech that is supported by education and is steered by the process of practical lessons. The Nutcracker is just one example that we do, as each area of the performing arts curriculum provides its own subject material within the scheme of work that is inclusive of addressing diversity - I find it really exciting as it challenges the staff and students and definitely adds context and depth to the overall training.

    I'm looking forward to your presentation it sounds really interesting and one that has an eternal life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Amanda, thank you so much for commenting again on this subject matter its a great way of looking it having eternal life. I attended a conference this weekend with the ADAD (The Association of Dance of the African Diaspora.) It was fascinating opened so many windows including life. Life is to be celebrated. Through the drumming in the African dance class I encountered the teachers talked about "life force" and "the spirit" and how do we codify this into a technique. THE BEAT ALLWAYS GOES ON! I’m feeling a reflection coming on which is a good heart entry for my reflective diary there is always something about Sundays and MAPP! It’s like cleansing and documenting work so it doesn’t get lost in the next week!

    It really did shine some light on how I look upon embodiment as a whole and my artefact in MAPP. It was great having examples then to relate it into my practice spiraling inner threads in my mind. Being aware of this learning and being able to actually reflect upon it is a great thing in my experience as it applies to many other situations something valuable from each module.

    What I am finding with in my research is that people within all areas of the dance sector feel uneasy with racism whether that be historically or political correctness with language. Few wants to speak out in fear of saying something inaccurate or offensive. I tried to speak to an outstanding teacher of African American dance and I could sense she really didn’t want to be interviewed, instead telling me to google. (I do find everyones just really busy, I feel like somebody doing market research on the street!) I found the teacher not wanting to comment strange because I just made the assumption X would given X's credentials and passion.

    But then I question myself I don’t know much about the history of gay rights or stonewall not that the two are comparable but I wouldn’t want to speak on this subject. Two sides.

    I find data in my research and then I see the other side of the argument and then I don't know where I sit with it and if I can use it in my essay!!! A circle of madness!

    I salute your work with equality and diversity.

    “Your not just becoming a dancer your becoming a human being” (MABOUNGOU 2014).

    ReplyDelete